RSS Feed

Dishmaster Imperial

Posted on

Dishmaster was founded in 1948 in the post-war years when the American kitchen was being re-invented. After more than 60 years, Dishmasters continue to be installed and used all over the world.

Atomic Wallpaper

Posted on

Whether the effect you’re after is “Mid-Century Modern”, “Tropical Tiki”, or “Sputnik” they have a pattern that will set the right tone for your favorite 50s room.I will blog more about this later

http://www.bradbury.com/atomic.html

AH Stock–Grand Server

Posted on

1963 New York World’s Fair & American Furniture Mart

The company proudly displayed its Cocktail Bar and Stereo System at the 1963 New York World’s Fair.  Unfortunately, production was discontinued since the company’s quality standards made the price prohibitive.

 

 

History of the Company—-In 1942, with just 5 employees, Arnold Stock started Stock’s Machine Company. On October 1, 1947, Stock’s Machine Company incorporated as A. H. Stock Manufacturing Corp. Little did Arnold realize when he first started making aircraft parts for the Navy in 1943 the many changes that would take place over the years — from having a watch tower for spotting planes during the Korean War to housing the Newton Fire Department from 1947 to 1963. Most of the original equipment for the fire department was manufactured here and, in 1957, when a new fire truck was necessary A. H. Stock Manufacturing met that need. Because of that association with the fire department, the company remains very involved with fire apparatus and equipment today and still has the capacity to empty a 3,500 gallon tanker filled with water in less than 1 minute.

 

Franciscan Dinnerware—Starburst Pattern

Posted on

Starburst is probably the most popular of the 1950s patterns that Franciscan produced. It certainly is one of the most expensive one. Done in an eliptical shape, it has a speckled, off-white background and a spray of stars in yellow and blue.

Franciscan Ware, or Franciscan Pottery as it was first named in 1934, was manufactured by Gladding-McBean and Company of Glendale, CA. Scores of different styles and patterns were produced. In 1962 Gladding McBean and Company merged with the Lock Joint Pipe Company and became Interpace. The Franciscan line continued in California until 1984 when the facility at Glendale was closed and all production moved to England (and later some patterns/pieces were produced in Japan, China and Portugal). It is important to note that not all pieces carry the “Franciscan” mark. Unless you are familiar with a particular pattern, you may not recognize it as “Franciscan.” I carry mostly those patterns produced in California but also a few made in England and China which I list separately. Even those pieces made in California have slight variations due to mold changes, or, for those which are hand-painted, the skill of the painter. I have pieces from over one hundred and sixty-one Franciscan patterns. Franciscan China is now only produced in China. While some of the English glassware is listed with the English dinnerware, the pieces produced in the USA by Fostoria (Cabaret) and Tiffin (Madeira) are listed under Glassware.

 

Salem China Company

Posted on

 

The Salem China Co., once located at the end of S. Broadway Ave. beyond Euclid St., was established in 1898 by William Smith, Thomas McNicol and Daniel Cronin. Patrick McNicol, who operated the East Liverpool Potteries, is credited with making the decision to build a plant in Salem. Originally, the firm made heavy hotel ware, the unbreakable kind. In August of 1918, the firm was sold to F. A. Sebring. Frank H. Sebring became president, and F. W. McKee, general manager.

Millions of pieces of different styles and kinds of china were made every year by this firm. Approximately 520 patterns in 50 different shapes were produced by the company in its 80-plus years of existence. Its colored glaze ware, known as “Yukon Yellow” and sold largely in tea and breakfast sets, was a Salem original. Other popular patterns were called Aquaria, Gloucester, Tepee and Comstock.

Decorating of the ware was done largely by women, although there were some expert male decorators. They all used the hand process mainly, except for the use of decal transfers for more elaborate patterns. In 1937 the company put into operation a continuous decorating kiln, capable of decorating about twice the number of pieces previously being produced. An interesting historical fact is that the pottery acquired the old Y&O Railroad property adjoining the main plant. The freight station was revamped to serve as a warehouse, and a kiln was moved into the Y&O sub-station.

Salem China was a leader in the pottery industry for many years. It grew to become Salem’s fifth largest employer, with 500 workers. Most of its output in the 1920s was marketed directly to dealers throughout the country. Forty salesmen traveled from coast to coast. This nation-wide coverage enabled the firm to run full tilt during the Great Depression, never missing a payroll. Sears, Roebuck & Co. was one of its best customers.

As early as 1901, Mothers’ Oats was including a piece of Salem China dinnerware in each box. Housewives could go to redemption centers and buy a different piece each week, eventually collecting a whole set. The company promoted its products in many different ways – in drugstores, furniture stores, groceries, banks and theaters. Drugstores offered coupon and punch-card plans. The housewife paid $2.98 for a 32-piece set of dinnerware that cost the store $2.72. Furniture stores gave away a free set of dishes with each dining room or bedroom suite purchased. Grocery stores tried coupons, punch-cards and giveaways with the purchase of certain amounts of groceries.

The Golden Pleasant pattern dinnerware was introduced by Salem China in 1929, and it dominated theatre giveaways for some time. At “Bank Night,” a free dinner plate in this pattern was offered for every admission. The Salem China Co. played a unique and important role in Salem’s history, having had positive effects on the lives of many people.

 

The two patterns pictured were their most popular during the 1960’s.  Upper picture pattern Pink Hop Scotch. Lower picture pattern North Star

Freeman-McFarlin Pottery

Posted on

Freeman-McFarlin Pottery began in the mid-1940s as a partnership between Gerald McFarlin and Maynard Anthony Freeman. McFarlin was the businessman of the pair and an established Southern California potter, having operated McFarlin Potteries in El Monte since 1927. Freeman was fresh out of the service and ready to try his hand at pottery design.

 


Most popular items from Freeman-McFarlin were the slip-cast earthenware sculptures of various animals; horses, dogs, cats, mice, coyotes, giraffes, owls, ducks and more. Through the years Freeman-McFarlin figurines were produced in a wide variety of colored glazes, so it is a fertile field for collectors. The company also employed free-lance designers, including Kay Finch who produced new designs for the company from the mid-1960s to the late seventies.
Early production took place at the El Monte factory, and in 1968 a second plant was added in San Marcos. In the late sixties Gerald McFarlin sold his interest in the company. Freeman sold the remainder of the company to International Multifoods in 1972. In 1975 the El Monte factory closed and operations were consolidated at the San Marcos plant. Hagen-Renaker acquired all Freeman-McFarlin Pottery operations in 1980.

 

The Brasilia line by Broyhill was created in 1962.

Posted on

The signature lines and waves of Brasilia furniture were inspired by the distinct architecture of the city of Brasilia, the capital of Brazil.

The city of Brasilia was planned and developed between 1956 and 1960. When viewed from above, the city’s shape resembles a plane or bird, which is mimicked on much of Broyhill’s original fabric and tiles. Most of the city’s architecture was the vision of a man named Oscar Niemeyer. Some of his most notable works are the Palacio de Alvorada and the Cathedral of Brasilia. These both feature clean lines and simple, modern design. What stands out most about the architecture is the use of hyperboloid structures, as in the cathedral and it’s parabolic columns, which are said to represent two hands moving upwards towards heaven. This particular building is one of Brasilia’s most recognizable attractions, due to it’s unique design and grand scale. 
When viewing the architecture of Brasilia, it is clear to see the inspiration in the design of the Broyhill Brasilia line of furniture. This line was first featured at the Seattle World’s Fair in 1962 representing the city of Brasilia. These unique pieces were created throughout the 1960’s in various forms.
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.